NEW BrickPi helps you do more with LEGO MINDSTORMS by connecting LEGO sensors and motors to the Raspberry Pi. BrickPi Core includes one BrickPi board for connecting MINDSTORMS, an upgraded 6-sided acrylic case for attaching Lego technic bricks, and a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Raspberry Pi sold separately.
LEGO parts not included.
BrickPi is best for someone who already has LEGO MINDSTORMS sensors and motors. The BrickPi connects to the Raspberry Pi, and replaces the MINDSTORMS Brick (brain of Mindstorm system). If you don’t already have LEGO MINDSTORMS, check out our complete robot kit, the GoPiGo.
Visit the BrickPi Product Support & Documentation page for step-by-step tutorials, technical specs, detailed product pictures, and sample code libraries.
What’s included in the BrickPi Core?
- BrickPi3 board
- 6-sided Acrylic Case to connect LEGO technic bricks on all sides
- Case hardware
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
What’s required for assembly & use but NOT included?
- LEGO MINDSTORMS sensors, motors, cables & technic parts
- Tiny (jewelry-sized) phillips head screwdriver is recommended for assembly of the case.
- Power Supply is recommended so you don’t drain the battery while you are programming.
- Ethernet Cable
- Raspberry Pi (we recommend the 3, but any version will work)
- microSD Card with Dexter Industries Raspbian for Robots, which you have to download and install yourself
What else do I need to know?
- Connect 1 of many Grove Sensors.
- Connect up to 4 NXT or EV3 motors.
- Connect up to 4 NXT or EV3 sensors, both digital and analog.
- Battery pack powers the Raspberry Pi – and the whole robot.
- Libraries available in languages such as Python, Scratch & Java.
- Connect your LEGO MINDSTORMS robot to the web to control it remotely or integrate other internet services and data.
- Attach your LEGO Technic bricks to the BrickPi case to build an awesome robot!
This kit is best for people that already have LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT or EV3 and wants one or more of the following:
- more processing power
- program in other languages (such as C, Python or Scratch)
- interact with the web (web services, stream data somewhere, control remotely)
- integrate WIFI
- integrate other 3rd party sensors
We do not sell the LEGO motors or sensors, but we have developed a few cool ones of our own like the dGPS.
If you don’t already have LEGO MINDSTORMS, you might want to start with our other complete Raspberry Pi robot kit, the GoPiGo.