Objective: Students will build a robotic plant monitoring station combining coding and life science!
Each Lesson includes the following elements:
- Background information & resource links (some to share with students & some for teachers)
- Introductory questions & information to share with the students
- Step-by-step procedure for the project
- Student handouts, charts, worksheets
- Closure exercises
- Assessment questions
Time Requirement: 6-8 week long term investigation
- The Lesson uses Scratch, a beginner drag-and-drop programming language developed at MIT. It is perfect for beginners, and no prior experience is expected or required.
Recommended Grades: 4-5
Main Audience: Classroom
This unit comes in the form of a one-time downloadable PDF with a license for 1 classroom. If you are interested in using this unit school-wide or district-wide, please contact us for that pricing at DexterEd (at) dexterindustries.com.
What else will I need that does not come with this curriculum?
For purchases of 5 or more robots, please see our GrovePi Classroom Kit.
- GrovePi Base Kit
- Raspberry Pi (works with any version of the Raspberry Pi)
- Wi-Fi Dongle (requires our custom Wi-Fi Dongle, even for the Pi 3, because our software is not yet totally compatible with the onboard wifi)
- microSD Card (with Dexter Industries custom software – available for purchase pre-loaded with our software or else you can download and image the cards yourself) *If you are using this in a school setting and don’t want to have to deal with your IT department to get the GoPiGo robot on your school network, we have another option which is very easy called “CINCH”. Please be sure to select a kit with the “CINCH” software. Read more about CINCH here.
- Ethernet Cable (not required if using CINCH)
- Power Wall Adapter
You may also like…
This 2-sided acrylic case protects and supports the GrovePi and Raspberry Pi from bumps and drops. The open design keeps sensors and connections accessible and protected. The acrylic is held together with steel posts and screws, giving the GrovePi solid protection.
Fits all versions of the Raspberry Pi.
GoPiGo2 is the newest version of our robot car! The GoPiGo2 Base Kit is perfect if you already have a Raspberry Pi and want to get it moving. It includes the GoPiGo2 board, chassis, wheels, motors, encoders, and power battery pack.