Objective: Students program a robot to draw a picture or write a message.
Each Lesson includes the following elements:
- Background information & resource links (some to share with students & some for teachers)
- Introductory questions & information to share with the students
- Step-by-step procedure for the project
- Student handouts, charts, worksheets
- Closure exercises
Time Requirement: 1-2 hours
- The Lesson uses Scratch, a beginner drag-and-drop programming language developed at MIT. It is perfect for beginners, and no prior experience is expected or required.
- For students with more advanced programming skills, there is room to expand upon the lesson provided to do more sophisticated activities with the sensors as well as data collection and analysis techniques. Students can also use Python, Java, C++ and Node.js to program the GoPiGo robot car, but this curriculum is designed to teach and incorporate Scratch.
Recommended Grades: Grades 4 and up
Main Audience: Afterschool Program, Workshop, Camp
This lesson comes in the form of a one-time downloadable PDF with a license for 1 classroom. If you are interested in using this lesson school-wide or district-wide, please contact us for that pricing at DexterEd (at) dexterindustries.com.
What else will I need that does not come with this curriculum?
For purchases of 5 or more robots, please see our GoPiGo Classroom Kit.
- GoPiGo Base Kit
- Raspberry Pi (works with any version of the Raspberry Pi)
- Wi-Fi Dongle (requires our custom Wi-Fi Dongle, even for the Pi 3, because our software is not yet totally compatible with the onboard wifi)
- microSD Card (with Dexter Industries custom software – available for purchase pre-loaded with our software or else you can download and image the cards yourself)*If you are using this in a school setting and don’t want to have to deal with your IT department to get the GoPiGo robot on your school network, we have another option which is very easy called DexterOS.
- Ethernet Cable
- Power Wall Adapter
- 8 AA batteries (not included, we recommend rechargeable) for each robot
- A computer with wifi & an internet connection and a web browser (Chrome preferred, but use Firefox if using touch-screen laptops)
- Markers (several different colors)
- Large pieces of paper, craft paper (rolls), chart paper, or bulletin board paper
- Materials to connect the marker to the GoPiGo (Examples – tape, popsicle sticks, K’Nex, Erector set, LEGOs, rubber bands, straws, cardboard)
Get the full hardware kit for the Robotic Art Lesson here.
You may also like…
The Dexter Industries Sensor Mount allows you to easily attach sensors to your GoPiGo3. Our custom design allows you to snap sensors right onto the mount and then snap the mount onto the GoPiGo3. No screws or soldering iron required! Attach any of the Dexter Industries or Grove sensors to your Raspberry Pi robot.
The Servo Package is a device that rotates. It connects directly to the GoPiGo and enables you to control an attached sensor’s rotation with software. This package comes with the servo and mounting hardware for attaching an ultrasonic sensor or Raspberry Pi camera to the GoPiGo Raspberry Pi robot car.
GoPiGo3 is the newest version of our robot car! The GoPiGo3 Base Kit is perfect if you already have a Raspberry Pi and want to get it moving. It includes the GoPiGo3 board, chassis, wheels, motors, encoders, and power battery pack.