Learning Java Robot Unit
Learn Java in a fun and engaging way with robots and sensors! This unit consists of three lessons to progressively teach Java while building fun projects with GrovePi, Raspberry Pi & sensors. It requires no prior programming knowledge and was designed for AP Computer Science A prep.
Objective: Encourage students to learn Java and prepare them for the AP Computer Science A exam.
This Unit consists of 3 Lessons:
- Turning on the LED: In this lesson, we’re going to set up the hardware and software to create an application that makes an LED connected to a GrovePi light whenever a button is pressed.
- Automatic Night Light: In this lesson, we’re going to set up the hardware and software to create a night light application. This application will make a light automatically come on as the room gets darker. In addition, the brightness of the light can be set to any custom level.
- Making a Metronome: In this module, you’re going to create a simple application that mimics the behavior of a metronome. More specifically, you’re going to create a simple metronome that displays its current BPM on an LCD screen, plays the beats using a buzzer, and controls the BPM using an angle sensor.
Each Lesson includes the following elements:
- Background information & resource links (some to share with students & some for teachers)
- Introductory questions & information to share with the students
- Step-by-step procedure for the project
- Student handouts, charts
- Closure exercises
Time Requirement: 1 hour per lesson
Recommended Grades: High School AP CS
Main Audience: Classroom, Camps, After School Programs, Meetups, Makerspace, Inventors, Hackers
This lesson comes in the form of a one-time downloadable PDF with a license for 1 classroom. If you are interested in using this lesson school-wide or district-wide, please contact us for that pricing at DexterEd (at) dexterindustries.com.
What else will I need that does not come with this curriculum?
For purchases of 5 or more robots, please see our GrovePi Classroom Kit.
- GrovePi Base Kit
- Raspberry Pi (works with any version of the Raspberry Pi)
- microSD Card (You can use your own SD Card or purchase one from us and install the Raspbian for Robots software.)
- Ethernet Cable
- Power Wall Adapter
Get all the hardware together in the Hardware Kit for Learning Java Robot Unit.
You may also like…
This 2-sided acrylic case protects and supports the GrovePi and Raspberry Pi from bumps and drops. The open design keeps sensors and connections accessible and protected. The acrylic is held together with steel posts and screws, giving the GrovePi solid protection.
Fits all versions of the Raspberry Pi.