Learning Java Robot Unit
Learn Java in a fun and engaging way with robots and sensors! This unit consists of three lessons to progressively teach Java while building fun projects with GrovePi, Raspberry Pi & sensors. It requires no prior programming knowledge and was designed for AP Computer Science A prep.
Objective: Encourage students to learn Java and prepare them for the AP Computer Science A exam.
This Unit consists of 3 Lessons:
- Turning on the LED: In this lesson, we’re going to set up the hardware and software to create an application that makes an LED connected to a GrovePi light whenever a button is pressed.
- Automatic Night Light: In this lesson, we’re going to set up the hardware and software to create a night light application. This application will make a light automatically come on as the room gets darker. In addition, the brightness of the light can be set to any custom level.
- Making a Metronome: In this module, you’re going to create a simple application that mimics the behavior of a metronome. More specifically, you’re going to create a simple metronome that displays its current BPM on an LCD screen, plays the beats using a buzzer, and controls the BPM using an angle sensor.
- More Lessons coming soon!
Each Lesson includes the following elements:
- Background information & resource links (some to share with students & some for teachers)
- Introductory questions & information to share with the students
- Step-by-step procedure for the project
- Student handouts, charts
- Closure exercises
Time Requirement: 1 hour per lesson
Recommended Grades: High School AP CS
Main Audience: Classroom, Camps, After School Programs, Meetups, Makerspace, Inventors, Hackers
This lesson comes in the form of a one-time downloadable PDF with a license for 1 classroom. If you are interested in using this lesson school-wide or district-wide, please contact us for that pricing at DexterEd (at) dexterindustries.com.
What else will I need that does not come with this curriculum?
For purchases of 5 or more robots, please see our GrovePi Classroom Kit.
- GrovePi Base Kit
- Raspberry Pi (works with any version of the Raspberry Pi)
- Wi-Fi Dongle (requires our custom Wi-Fi Dongle, even for the Pi 3, because our software is not yet totally compatible with the onboard wifi)
- microSD Card (with Dexter Industries custom software – available for purchase pre-loaded with our software or else you can download and image the cards yourself) *If you are using this in a school setting and don’t want to have to deal with your IT department to get the GoPiGo robot on your school network, we have another option which is very easy called “CINCH”. Please be sure to select a kit with the “CINCH” software. Read more about CINCH here.
- Ethernet Cable (not required if using CINCH)
- Power Wall Adapter
Get all the hardware together in the Hardware Kit for Learning Java Robot Unit.
You may also like…
This 2-sided acrylic case protects and supports the GrovePi and Raspberry Pi from bumps and drops. The open design keeps sensors and connections accessible and protected. The acrylic is held together with steel posts and screws, giving the GrovePi solid protection.
Fits all versions of the Raspberry Pi.
GoPiGo2 is the newest version of our robot car! The GoPiGo2 Base Kit is perfect if you already have a Raspberry Pi and want to get it moving. It includes the GoPiGo2 board, chassis, wheels, motors, encoders, and power battery pack.