Objective: Students set up and program their GoPiGo to drive around and play soccer.
The Lesson includes the following elements:
- Step-by-step procedure for the project
Time Requirement: 4-6 class periods
- The Lesson uses Scratch, a beginner drag-and-drop programming language developed at MIT. It is perfect for beginners, and no prior experience is expected or required.
- For students with more advanced programming skills, there is room to expand upon the lesson provided to do more sophisticated activities with the sensors as well as data collection and analysis techniques. Students can also use Python, Java, C++ and Node.js to program the GoPiGo robot car, but this curriculum is designed to teach and incorporate Scratch.
Recommended Grades: 4-12
Main Audience: After School Program
This lesson comes in the form of a one-time downloadable PDF with a license for 1 classroom. If you are interested in using this lesson school-wide or district-wide, please contact us for that pricing at DexterEd (at) dexterindustries.com.
What else will I need that does not come with this curriculum?
For purchases of 5 or more robots, please see our GoPiGo Classroom Kit.
- GoPiGo Base Kit
- Raspberry Pi (works with any version of the Raspberry Pi)
- Wi-Fi Dongle (requires our custom Wi-Fi Dongle, even for the Pi 3, because our software is not yet totally compatible with the onboard wifi)
- microSD Card (with Dexter Industries custom software – available for purchase pre-loaded with our software or else you can download and image the cards yourself)
- Acrylic Sensor Mounts set of 4 (to mount sensors on the GoPiGo) and/or Servo Package (to mounts and be able to rotate sensors on the GoPiGo)
- Ethernet Cable
- Power Wall Adapter
- Line Follower
- 8 AA batteries (not included, we recommend rechargeable) for each robot
- A computer with wifi & an internet connection and a web browser (Chrome preferred, but use Firefox if using touch-screen laptops)
- Black Electrical Tape
- Materials for modifying the GoPiGo (Ex. pipe cleaners, tape, construction paper, cardboard)
You may also like…
This blue colored acrylic replacement part kit comes with an entirely new set of acrylic body parts and metal hardware for the GoPiGo2.
The Servo Package is a device that rotates. It connects directly to the GoPiGo and enables you to control an attached sensor’s rotation with software. This package comes with the servo and mounting hardware for attaching an ultrasonic sensor or Raspberry Pi camera to the GoPiGo Raspberry Pi robot car.