The Dexter Industries NXTBee for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT sensor brings the Digi XBee radios to the Lego Mindstorms NXT system! These high-speed long-distance wireless communications sensors allow your NXT to communicate with any other device with an XBee radio. The XBee 802.15 communication protocol is the standard for robots everywhere!
Communicate Far: With the NXTBee you can send information up to 300 ft and the NXTBee PRO up to 1.2 km.
Communicate Fast: The NXTBee utilizes the high speed RS-485 line for high speed communication.
Communicate Wide: The NXTBee uses the XBee protocol which includes point to point networking and mesh networking.
- Power output: 1mW (+0 dBm) North American & International version
- Indoor/Urban range: Up to 100 ft (30 m)
- Outdoor/RF line-of-sight range: Up to 300 ft (90 m)
- Operating frequency: 2.4 GHz
- Receiver sensitivity: -92 dBm
- Spread Spectrum type: DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum)
- Networking topology: Point-to-point, point-to-multipoint, & peer-to-peer
- Error handling: Retries & acknowledgements
- Filtration options: PAN ID, Channel, and 64-bit addresses
- Channel capacity:
- NXTBee: 16 Channels
- NXTBee-PRO: 12 Channels
- Addressing: 65,000 network addresses available for each channel
Certifications: FCC, IC, Europe/ETSI, Australia/Ctick.
More information on the NXTBee can be found in the User Guide here.
Downloads and Tutorials
- NXTBee User Guide (Wiki) Most up to date NXTBee Sensor user-guide and FAQ.
- NXTBee User Guide (PDF) Download the NXTBee Sensor user-guide for general information on the sensor and FAQ.
- NXT-G Blocks (zip) Includes NXT-G blocks to transmit and receive, enhanced firmware for the NXT, and Labview VI’s for the NXTBee.
- NXT-G Examples (zip) Send and receive examples for the NXTBee.
- LVLM Examples (zip) Includes enhanced firmware, Labview VI’s for the NXTBee, and example programs.
- NXTBee in LVLM Tutorial (Wiki) A tutorial on geting started with the NXTBee in LVLM.
- Basic Communications Example (zip) RobotC code example for sending and receiving with the NXTBee radios.
- Lookup Table (zip) RobotC code example for using a lookup table as a checksum.
- Flag Waiver example (zip) RobotC code example for the Flag Waiver from our blog.
- RC Car Example (zip) A more advanced programming example of a radio controlled car; an example from our blog.
- Arduino RC Car (zip) A LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT Car, controlled by the Arduino. Another example from our blog. RobotC and Arduino code here.
- Secure Networking Example (.c) How to setup a secure network for your LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT using the NXTBee. We outline the project in detail in our blog here.
- NNXTBee Setup and Initialization (zip) Initializes the NXTBee Radio, sets all communications pins and saves configuration. Scans and detects baud rate and allows user to adjust baud rate. Saves settings.
- NXTBee Raw Communications Example (zip) Example send/receive program. One program for the transmitter and one for the receiver. This code can be modified to send any information you want to.