The Dexter Industries dIMU Inertial Motion Sensor reads reads acceleration, tilt, and speed of rotation. This sensor combines a gyroscope and accelerometer into one sensor, allowing your robots to do amazing things! Both the accelerometer and the gyroscope read on all three axes (x, y, and z). Build robots that know which way is up, can measure tilt, balance themselves, and measure acceleration and rotation on all axes all at once.
- An accelerometer and gyroscope for the LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT and EV3.
- EV3 Ready.
- Measures acceleration, tilt, and rotaton on all 3 axes.
- Build LEGO® robots that can balance, measure acceleration, and know which way is up.
- Measure static and dynamic acceleration.
- Accelerometer: Measure acceleration up to 8 g’s on all three axes. Measure between ±2g, ±4g, and ±8g.
- Gyroscope: Measures rate of rotation. The sensor can measure ±250, ±500, and ±2,000 degrees per second.
The accelerometer works on three different levels and can measure ±2g, ±4g, and ±8g. The accelerometer can be calibrated for static acceleration of gravity. The gyroscope works on three different levels of precision as well, and can measure ±250, ±500, and ±2,000 degrees per second. The gyroscope has zero offset and very low drift, making it very suitable for inexperienced users. The sensor is supported in NXT-G, RobotC, NXC, and Labview for Lego Mindstorms (LVLM).
Downloads and Tutorials
- NXT-G Blocks (.zip) Comes with blocks for accelerometer, accelerometer calibration, gryoscope, and example NXT-G Programs.
- FastGyro Blocks (.zip) A block for reading the gryoscope of the dIMU fast, and example NXT-G Programs.
- RobotC Examples (web) Available in the latest Botbench 3rd Party Drivers Suite.
- NXC Examples (zip) Example of the dIMU in NXC.
- Lejos Example (zip) Example of the dIMU in Lejos. See more information here.
- Labview for LEGO MINDSTORMS (LVLM) (zip) LVLM VI’s for the Accelerometer and Gyroscope. A big thanks to Tufts CEEO for their help with these vi’s.
You may also like…
The dGPS is a GPS sensor for the LEGO Mindstorms NXT and EV3. This sensor sends GPS coordinates to your robot and calculates navigation information. Check out the full handbook for dGPS here.
The Dexter Industries Thermal Infrared Sensor (TIR) reads surface temperatures of objects. It is a non-contact thermometer based on the MLX90614.
BrickPi+ helps you do more with LEGO MINDSTORMS by connecting LEGO sensors and motors to the Raspberry Pi. The Base Kit includes one BrickPi board for connecting MINDSTORMS and an upgraded 6-sided basic acrylic case for attaching Lego technic bricks. Raspberry Pi sold separately. LEGO parts not included.